- Oak Hills Recess Games and Procedures
- Playground Weather Considerations
- Play Structure Area
- Recess Equipment
- Field Area
- Recess Dismissal
- Teacher Tips
- Recess Duty Tips
The Purpose of Recess is:
1. Have fun
2. Play with your friends
3. Get some exercise
4. Get some fresh air
To be SAFE we:
- Walk out to recess
- Walk, gentle jog, or skip on the blacktop and bark chips
- Walk or climb on the playground structures* Stay within the boundaries (no play between first grade wing & gym)
- Get permission from adult & a pass before leaving & report back upon return
- Use recess equipment for intended purposes only*
- Keep bark chips on the ground
- Play tag games only on the field
- No food on the playground
To be RESPECTFUL we:
- Be a good sport, play fair, and listen to game judges
- Share and take turns
- Leave nature alone
- Good Sporting Behavior is important in all activities
To be RESPONSIBLE we:
- Use equipment responsibly and safely
- Return playground equipment appropriately when done
- Stop playing when whistle blows and line up quickly and quietly
- Follow game and equipment rules
To be KIND we:
- Safe hands, safe feet
- No capture games or games with pretend weapons
- Use kind words
- Include everyone
- Walk around others’ games
Duty person(s) will decide on availability of playground areas as wet and dry conditions can change throughout the day.
- GREEN – Field, playground, blacktop, grass all open, all equipment available
- YELLOW – No field. Blacktop and playground open, all equipment available except football, soccer balls, and kick balls
- ORANGE – blacktop only open. All equipment available except footballs, soccer balls, and kick balls
- RED – undercover open only, all equipment available except footballs, soccer balls, and kick balls
If using both under covered areas, a duty person must be at each covered area.
- Sit on bottom and face the school
- No jumping out
- Hold on to the chain with two hands
- No pushing by students
- No twisting or sideways swinging
- Keep a safe space when moving around swings
- If taking turns is needed, students can use 30-swing count system
- Walking or very gentle running on the play structure area.
- A duty teacher can stop a game if deemed unsafe.
- No climbing on top of monkey bars or horizontal bars
- One person at a time on horizontal bars, ladders and rings
- One direction only on horizontal bars, ladders, and rings
- On horizontal bars, no standing on bar
- Must keep at least on hand on monkey bars (no hanging just by knees)
- Keep hands and feet on climbing structure while moving-3 points of contact
- Bottom only, feet first
- No climbing up the slides
- Jump ropes are for jumping or jumping games on the blacktop not for tug of war or tying up people or to poles
- Hula-hoops are for individual use only on the blacktop not for trapping others
- Wall balls are for games to be played only on wall ball or 4-square courts NO KICKING wall balls
- Basketballs are for basketball only on the blacktop
- Soccer balls for soccer or kickball on the field
- Footballs are for throwing, kicking, and catching on the field
- Kickball – may use a wall ball on the kick ball field (north, grassy infield)
- Tetherballs are for tetherball poles only
Adults on duty have discretion to determine consequences based on severity and previous infractions.
- Removal from equipment/activity for the remainder of recess
- Time out for:
- Throwing bark chips
- Kicking the ball
- Being disrespectful
- Repeat offenses (after natural consequence of removal)
- Referral Form:
- Profanity, inappropriate language or gestures
- Purposefully hitting another child
- Fighting or physical aggression with intent to hurt or injure others
- Harassment or bullying
- Repeated accounts of being disrespectful
At the end of recess, a duty person will blow the whistle 3 times. This is the signal for students to line up. All students are responsible for picking up and putting away loose equipment. When the majority of students are lined up, the whistle will be blown 3 times again, which the students will respond to with 3 claps. The first class silent and lined up straight will receive a tally mark from the duty teacher. There can be a tie. The class with most tally marks at the end of the month will be given 1 STAR card for each student. If the duty teacher decides there is too much noise after the first set of whistles, no class will have the opportunity to earn a tally but the whistles and claps will continue until quiet.
- Remind students to wear coats on cold days, they will not be allowed to return to the classroom
- Students should not return to classrooms during lunch and recess unless accompanied by a teacher or if they have a classroom pass
- Please be on time to pick up your students from outside
- All students must carry a pass to go to the library or restroom during recess
- All duty personnel should position themselves in different areas and move about the playground making themselves visible and available to all students.
- Duty people are in charge of regulating activities, if an activity is getting too rough, that activity can be discontinued for a few days.
- Please do not get involved in games or conversation that will allow a small group to monopolize your time, or engage in long conversations with the other duty teacher(s); both of these make it difficult to perform adequate supervision.
- Please minimize cell phone use.
- Keep the principal and classroom teacher informed of persistent recess problems with individuals and/or groups (trackers, referrals).
Time out: Please select time out within sight, for purposes of monitoring. For recess infractions only, unless student’s teacher is on duty. Amount of time is determined by the duty teacher based on previous. Students in time out will not be allowed to talk or play with other students. *Time out will not be used as a consequence for incomplete student work.